Ask Your Preacher
There is physical evidence of dinosaur bones everywhere. There is also evidence of Neanderthals. If Adam and Eve were formed at the beginning of creation, were they living before dinosaurs and Neanderthals? If so, does that mean Adam and Eve were even less evolved than Neanderthals? Does the Bible mention dinosaurs?
Evolutionists would have you believe that Neanderthals are some genetically inferior pre-humans, but the evidence doesn’t support that. All current “Neanderthal” bodies found by modern science fit into the category of human or some extinct primate species. The missing link is still missing for a reason.
Now, let’s deal with dinosaurs. The world existed for five days before God made Adam and Eve on day six (Gen 1:27). Aquatic dinosaurs were created on the fifth day (Gen 1:21-23), and land dinosaurs were created on day six (Gen 1:25).
The Bible does mention dinosaur-like animals in Job chapters 40 and 41. If you read the description of the Behemoth and the Leviathan found in those chapters, you should see the similarities between them and the dinosaur fossils that have been found. For further information on dinosaurs, read the posts “Jurassic Parks & Rec” and “DINOSAURS!!!”.
I wanted to ask if you are aware that the story of Jesus is not unique. There were mythical Greek gods long before Jesus was heard of with the same or similar story surrounding them (i.e. the virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, etc.).
We are aware of myths that contain elements that are similar to Jesus’ life, but similarity doesn’t mean they are the same, and the biggest difference is that Jesus is a literal person who walked the earth – unlike Hercules or Poseidon.
Jesus is a well-documented historical figure. He is noted by both biblical and secular historians of His day. Jesus isn’t a myth. The fact that people who lived at the same time as Jesus were willing to lay down their lives for their conviction that He had risen from the grave puts Him in a totally different category than mythological tales. All but the most radical historians agree that Jesus really walked this Earth – we can’t fable Him away like Zeus.
How did you know without a doubt that God is real?
Your question is one of the fundamental questions of life: “Does God Exist?” It is important that everyone asks this question at some point in their life; it is a basic question that is worthy of an honest answer.
We will try to give you some key evidence that there is a Creator, but we will also point you in the direction of some resources that may help you in your quest for answers. So here we go:
- Look at a watch and ask yourself the question, “Is this designed?” Of course, a watch is designed – just like a house, a car, a camera, and other modern technological marvels. You know they are designed because they are complex, they have purpose, and they are organized in a meaningful way. Now look at your eye, your hand, even a single follicle of hair. Are they designed? They are infinitely more complex than a watch. They have very distinct purposes, and they are all organized in a meaningful way. You were designed by God; you have a Designer. If you believe in watchmakers, you can believe in God.
- The most basic laws of science tell us that nothing ever comes from nothing (1st Law of Thermodynamics). Einstein made it clear that nothing can be destroyed; energy can turn into matter and matter into energy, but everything that is here has always been here. That begs the question, “Where did it all come from?” Scientists all agree that everything we see had to come from somewhere, but the only logical answer to that question is ‘God’. God, a supernatural deity not bound by the laws of physics, created all that we see and enjoy in this universe.
- God’s Word is also proof that God is. The Bible is a book that only God could write. It has prophecies that are fulfilled hundreds of years after they are spoken. It has remained unchanged by tradition or persecution for thousands of years. It makes statements about how our world works hundreds of years before scientists realized the concepts for themselves. The Bible is a book composed by over forty different writers over thousands of years, and yet it has no contradictions within it. The Bible could not have been written by anyone but Deity.
These are just three reasons to believe in God; there are many more that space prevents us from mentioning. We also recommend you go back and read through the posts in our EVIDENCES category. You will see that you aren’t the only one who has questions about God, and you will also see that there are answers to every question. We also recommend reading Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel and Has God Spoken? by A.O. Schnabel. Both books are well worth the read.
I struggle with the logic of a god. Archeologists have uncovered "Lucy" and other human remains dating back 4+ million years. How do fossils such as these fit into your understanding of human's creation by a god? Do you consider evolution and god mutually exclusive?
Millions Of Contradictions
Dear Millions Of Contradictions,
Atheism isn’t science, and yet, it colors the way people view scientific data. A large portion of the scientific establishment views the world through naturalistic lenses – meaning that they assume everything that is here came through natural, random processes. One paleontologist looks at millions of dead bones piled under dirt, debris, silt, etc. and sees millions of years of decay and evolution. Another paleontologist sees the same fossils scattered in abundance under the same rock layer and sees a cataclysmic event – most likely Noah’s Flood. The difference isn’t the data; it is the way they view and interpret the data. Most of the modern scientific community has chosen to interpret the data through evolutionary lenses. They assume that:
- The world is billions of years old because evolution would need billions of years to occur.
- All rock layers form slowly over time – even though we have great examples of rock forming rapidly. (Mt. St. Helen’s explosion in 1980 is a great example of cataclysmic rock formation). This viewpoint is called “uniformitarianism” and is based off the concept that all things are the same throughout time – if something is happening slowly now, then it must always have happened that way. The Bible specifically says that isn’t the case (2 Pet 3:4-6).
- That nature is all there is. Naturalism assumes that there is no supernatural and that there is no supernatural intervention in the events of mankind’s history or the world’s creation.
These assumptions color the data of a large portion of scientists. It isn’t a conspiracy, but it is interpretation of data based upon their worldview. The Bible agrees perfectly with scientific data, but it often disagrees with scientists. Carbon-14 dating (and other radiometric dating methods) is based off of a naturalistic worldview. We don’t have the space here, but we would highly recommend you read this article, written by a scientist, on the assumptions involved in carbon-14 dating. Once again, the problem isn’t with the carbon half-life measurements… but with the interpretation of the data.
The Bible dwells in perfect harmony with science, but when scientists assume that there is no God involved in the creation of this planet, they often fail to understand the data they are collecting.
God bless you brethren. How can I witness to someone who doesn't believe the Bible is the Word of God but rather the words and views of men?
Where To Start?
Dear Where To Start,
The best way to show it is to show the uniqueness of the Bible. The writers of the Bible admit that it is their hands that wrote it (Gal 6:11), but they also explain that God’s Spirit guided those hands (Eph 3:3-4). If that is true (and it is!), then the Bible would show signs that it was written by God and not man. Here are some simple reasons that the Bible is unique from every other book:
- It is 100% scientifically accurate. Isa 40:22 mentions the earth being round. Job 36:27-28 explains the water-vapor cycle. These and other verses mention scientific principles that were not understood until centuries later.
- It never contradicts itself. Over 40 different writers penned the pages of the Bible. They came from different walks of life and different eras, yet no one has ever found a contradiction from Genesis to Revelation.
- It has been perfectly preserved throughout history. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Septuagint are copies of the Bible written 1,000 years apart, and yet, there is no difference in the text.
- No book is as widely distributed as the Bible. Written in over 2,500 languages and sold by the billions, the Bible is the most published book on the planet. No other book comes even close.
- The Bible is accurate in prophecies. The prophecies of Tyre (Eze 26:3-21) and Babylon (Isa 13:19-22, Isa 14:23) give specific, detailed accounts of the fall of those cities. Those prophecies were written many years before the events took place, and yet they came to pass exactly as the Bible foretold.
These are only short answers to the question ‘Why is the Bible unique?’, but they are a good start when discussing the issue with someone. If you want a more detailed answer, I recommend Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell and Has God Spoken? by A.O. Schnabel as great reference material on this topic.