Ask Your Preacher

Ask Your Preacher

“After They're Grown...”

     How do I take comfort from God when my two adult children are suffering with drug addiction?  I have two sons who are throwing their lives away by way of drug addiction.  The youngest is in our county jail waiting to go back to prison.  My oldest is in Chicago Cook county jail awaiting a charge there.  I am constantly fearful for their lives.  If they do not accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, how can I ever have peace?  I see their self-destructive behavior, and I feel helpless.  I feel guilty as well.  Please, any advice would be helpful.  I must confess, I have been baptized but do not currently attend church.  I believe that may be the first step to helping me.  Sometimes, I read Scripture that helps give me strength, but lately, I feel lost.  Thank you for any help you may give me.

Heart-Sick Mother

Dear Heart-Sick Mother,

We are so sorry for your grief and suffering.  How you feel is completely normal, and in fact, you might take comfort in reading one of our questions, "A Mother's Grief", written in by a mother who had similar sorrows from her grown children.

You asked us what you can do to take comfort in God... and you are right; going back to church is a big part of that.  God tells us that assembling with a faithful church encourages and strengthens us (Heb 10:24-25).  You can't change the past, and you can't live your sons' lives for them.  This is your reality now, and the best thing you can do for yourself (and for them) is to put your life on the right path.  We would be happy to help you find some wonderful, faithful congregations in your area if you'd like.  Not all churches are faithful, but we can help get you in contact with one that will help you draw near to God and heal.  Just e-mail us at